Sunday, August 21, 2011

Grapes of wrath- did i enjoy this book

The book Grapes of Wrath was in my opinion a very interesting book. When I first began reading this book, I thought I was going to hate it. I thought it was so boring because nothing was going on and I did not understand the beginning of it. The book improved very much towards the middle and especially towards the end. The struggles that every single one of the characters in this book faced and conquered was very inspiring to me. I can not even imagine having to face something like that right now. My life compared to the lives of the characters in this book seems so easy. My biggest worry in life right now is whether or not I am going to be able to stay up long enough to finish the rest of my blogs before school starts tomorrow. If I had to make a decision as drastic as moving across the country with almost no plan at all, I do not know if I would be capable of doing that. That is why the strength and bravery of these characters is so inspiring to me. I think that my favorite aspect of this book is that the author included so much history in it. It was very interesting to me to hear about the events that happened in this book. History is my least favorite subject in school, but I really enjoy when authors include it in their writing. The Great Depression is something that I had learned about already in school, so I had some knowledge of what it was. However, The Dust Bowl was an event that was completely knew to me. I had never heard about it before reading this book, so it really interested me. I know that more than half of the food that we eat and the products that we use today has some type of corn or bean product in it. Also, the animals that we use today for food, such as cows and chickens feed mostly off of corn and beans. So if some type of storm like the dust bowl occurred today and devastated our crops as the dust bowl did to these farmers in the nineteen thirties, we would have a very difficult time of living without all these crops. Overall, I learned a lot from this book and I enjoyed reading it.



Steinbeck, John. The Grapes of Wrath. New York: Penguin, 2002. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment