Sunday, August 21, 2011

The grapes of wrath- hero

The hero of a book is the character who overcomes the conflict of the book. The hero is usually the main character and the protagonist. When I think of a "hero" I think of someone who is brave and strong. The hero of the book 'The Grapes of Wrath" is Tom Joad. Tom is the hero because he overcomes a huge struggle throughout the book. In this book, Tom Joad is a very brave character. He has a lot to overcome when the Dust Bowl storm happens. Tom has no job and no way to provide for his family. When he has no other choice, he decides to move across the country to California in hopes of finding a job so he can take care of his family. This decision would be a very hard one to make because even though it seems like the obvious choice, it is a very dangerous journey to try to make. It is very risky and difficult. Many people died making this journey and it would be very difficult to force your family members to try to make this journey when you know the problems that you could possibly face. If it were me in this situation, I think that I would have had a very hard time trying to make this decision. It would have been very hard knowing all the risks involved. I would try to make the best decision for my family, just like Tom Joad did. I think that Tom Joad was aware that he had no other choice but to make the journey, even though he was aware that even if they did make it to California, there was no guarantee that they would be able to definitely get a job there. I think that a lot of people did not realize that they may face the same challenges in California as they originally faced in their hometown. I think a lot of people nowadays take things like a home and a job for granted. I think that by reading this book and seeing what the hero, Tom Joad had to over come would show a lot of people how fortunate they are.


Steinbeck, John. The Grapes of Wrath. New York: Penguin, 2002. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment