Sunday, August 21, 2011

The old Man and the Sea- Did i like this book?

I had mixed opinions about the book "The Old Man and the Sea". I think that the book was kind of boring in the beginning, when there really was not a lot going on. I thought that since this book was about fishing that I was going to have no clue what a lot of the words and terms meant. At first it was a bit difficult to understand some of the terminology that was used throughout this book. I was confused in the beginning, but after a while, I began to understand what some of the fishing terms mean and it made sense. The book started out slow, but after I got to the part where the old man caught the marlin, the book became more exciting and I was more interested in the book. At first the book seemed kind of depressing and I felt bad for the old man, who had not caught any fish in eighty four days. I thought that if it were me in that situation, I probably would have given up or tried something new. The old man was very patient with his situation. I also thought the old man was kind of crazy for focusing so much on just one fish and sacrificing and risking so much in order to catch it. But I soon understood why he would do that. He was very desperate for a catch because if he did not catch any thing he would get no money and if he caught the fish, he could get the young boy, his friend and apprentice, to come back to his boat to fish with him. The old man had become so lonely out at sea with out the boy that he began talking to himself. I think this is very sad and I felt very bad for the old man because I myself would not be able to last that long all by myself with no company for so many days. At first I thought this book was boring, but once I got to the middle and towards the end, I enjoyed this book and I found the characters, the old man and the young boy, inspiring.


Hemingway, Ernest. The Old Man and the Sea. New York: Scribner Paperback Fiction, 1995. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment